Sunday, November 13, 2011

Waiting for the Caffeine


My husband and I have been watching the corner of 8th and S for a few months. A little sign on the front of this building seemed like the answer to my prayers. Ever since we moved here I wanted a neighborhood coffee shop. The sign said INSIGHT COFFEE.

I'd check back occasionally to see if the paper was off the windows yet. Then one day I met Lucky and Ben - the bucks, braun and brains behind the bar - and they gave me a tour for some BEFORE photos.


The Bucks
We started in the back room with a visit to the just-installed massive coffee roaster. In addition to roasting coffee, they also plan to offer classes in this space.


The Braun
They are  repurposing materials from Sacramento sites and doing all the work on the space themselves. These 1908 theater seats salvaged from the basement of the Masonic Temple on J Street will get a coat of wax and serve as cafe seating.


This board from a 100-year-old redwood tree was about to be discarded from a Sacramento garage. Ben and Lucky rescued it and are transforming it into a redwood bar for the front window. I can't wait to be sitting at it sipping a latte.


This is the main cafe. I love the shiny new copper espresso machine sitting on the hand made cement counter.


Here is a closer look at their craftsmanship.


The Brains
If they make their coffee with as much love and attention to detail as they are putting into transforming this space, my dream will have more than come true.

And the big surprise bonus is their offer to host our monthly neighbor meetings! With these beans and pastries from Freeport Bakery and Doughbot - our neighborhood gourmet donut shop - I'm pretty sure our attendance will increase...


I can barely wait til Insight Coffee's grand opening.


No comments:

Post a Comment