Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Park, Two Views

I received this email today:


"I was taking a walk around Southside Park last evening and came across this incredible flowering bush near the Horseshoe Pit by the water's edge.  The incredible fragrant blossoms about knocked me off my feet."


Photo by Jay Hansen
Contrast that to what I saw on my walk around the park yesterday:




These trees were being removed in preparation for the final leg of the fence installation around the lake. Fair enough, but I'm not sure why they had to remove these street-side trees, as well.


Sadly, with nine less trees there is now less of a barrier of sound, noise and dust between the neighborhood and the freeway.


Nevertheless, the lake remains gorgeous. Guess I'll walk around it to the horseshoe pit for a whiff of spring.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, I cherish each of your blog entries! I had not been able to get to the south side of the lake yet to see the tree cutting, so your pictures are particularly useful this time. By coincidence an acoustic engineer told me last night that trees have little effect on noise reduction unless the stand of trees is at least 100 feet thick. Not sure if that's true or not, but it might be. The trees certainly help with the view, and oxygen. If it's any consolation, seems like trees grow quickly at that end of the lake. Quite a few palms have grown up spontaneously there in recent years. Perhaps we'll have replacements, planned or otherwise, before too long.

    ReplyDelete