Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King Day

What a great feeling to wake up on a sunny day, leave my house, walk across the park to 10th Street and meet up with the 31st Annual March for the Dream.


The march down 10th, complete with bands and flag twirlers, was one of three that would meet up downtown.


In 1985 when I served in the New Hampshire House of Representatives I helped lead the fight for legislation to make MLK Day a state holiday. The bill's defeat and the rhetoric surrounding it was very discouraging and depressing. But the groundwork was laid and it finally became NH state law in 1999.


So joining today's march, seeing the smiles and feeling the energy RIGHT IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD is a special thrill for me. I hope you felt it, too.





2 comments:

  1. I'm proud to know you. You are a pioneer. The struggle continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was a sight to see... a good one! And yes, special meaning for you, different than the marchers, but kind of the same.

    ReplyDelete