Friday, January 6, 2012

The Secret Life of Our Tennis Court

Driving home one night about 10 PM we were surprised by all the cars and activity on 6th and W near the tennis court. Turns out the action was on the tennis court. But it didn't look like tennis.


I asked the guys what they were playing. It was CRICKET!!

When the lights are on and the courts are empty Chaz and about twenty of his Pakistani friends from Natomas, Elk Grove and elsewhere tweet each other to meet for a spontaneous game.



They took time to show me the ball - it's like a tennis ball wrapped in white tape - and tell me about the sport. They stop playing when the lights go off, which was going to happen any minute, so I left them to their game.

I love that they make use of the recreational space when the lights would be illuminating nothing but empty courts.

Here is a blurry iPhone photo of the guys in action.



2 comments:

  1. Nice! Never seen cricket there before, just tennis and soccer. Hey Catherine I've heard those lights are on a timer that any user can turn on when they want to use the courts at night (but maybe not past 10 pm). Not sure, never tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting... guerrilla soccer! I can picture you now, sprinting across the grass iPhone in hand, screaming "I wanna know.... ". I hope you are on Chaz's 'tweet list' that would be fun to watch. To bad they can't take the nets down, looks like one guy was holding one up.

    ReplyDelete